Tuesday 30 August 2005

Mar Thei Khang (Water Chestnut Tong Shui)

This is how water chestnut looks like. Best thing is this err is this a fruit or vegetable or bulb?? Gosh whatever it is, best thing is this can be eaten fresh after peeling the skin or cook it in sweet or savoury (dumplings and pan fried patties) dishes.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Water chestnut (mar thei in Cantonese) are usually grown in paddy fields in China which explains why they are so muddy. Usually I get those in a mesh bag that have already been cleaned. All I need to do is to peel them off before eating or cooking.

This round, I made a sweet soup (tong shui in Cantonese) but this one is call khang. Sorry huh I'm not Chinese educated hence I can't really tell the difference between tong shui and khang but I deducted khang is a thick broth.

This Mar Thei Khang is another easy peasy dish to cook and sorry to say I did not follow any recipe, I just guesstimate my way after tasting this at KTZ.

All I did was peel and chop water chestnuts into small pieces. Place into a pot of water together with a can of sweet cream style corn and boil. I've used some rock sugar to taste. Boil for about 15-20 minutes, then I stir in a cornstarch and water solution. How thick you want your tong shui depends on the ratio of cornstarch and water. Use more starch if you prefer thick soup. Just remember to keep stirring when you add in the solution. It's best to use potato flour as the thickening agent but I do not have any. No problem to substitute with cornflour. Bring to boil and remove from stove. Best served hot.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Note: Try not to stir too much after cooking as the soup may turn watery.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have eaten this tong sui before. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. usually egg white is swirl into it as well but i omitted.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012