Tuesday 15 August 2006

Merdeka Open House 2006: Calling All Food Bloggers

Darn I was typing out my post twice and before I manage to save it, I was hit by power outage. Not once but twice, grrrr… lost all what was on my thoughts. Not only that the Internet line has been erratic since this morning and it went down just right after I hit Publish. Anyway, I would like to thank those of you whom have given me some valuable suggestions. Let’s not waste time and get on with the do.

I’ll be hosting a virtual open house on our 49th National Day with of course the help from Malaysian food bloggers all over the world. Generally the theme will based on Malaysian dishes but we need to do some stream lining here since Malaysian dishes are so vast and diversified. With some ideas provided by Mike and Audrey, let’s make our theme - Malaysian Recipes Long Forgotten.

Traditional recipes of any Malaysian ethnics that could have been long forgotten will be the focus of this year’s open house. I’m very sure there are many recipes out there that were sort of lost in transition in between the generations. So it’s time we gather around and savour some of these wonderful dishes of our forefathers.

Well we shall not limit the recipes based on your own ethnic but feel free to explore others since Malaysians are a muhibah lot. Now, all you need to do is to cook up a dish based on the theme. To be in the spirit, try not to buy store bought goodies, if you can’t cook, go charm your mom, dad, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles or whoever the cook in your family to cook the dish. Next, take a picture of it and write about the dish plus of course the recipe. Ahem if you can write your entry in BM, it’s all the better ahahaha but please don’t ask me do my rounding up in BM cos my BM sudah karat!

Post it up in your blog by 29th August 2006 but of course if you can do it earlier, it’s all the better to ease me in rounding up on 31st August 2006. Those who doesn’t own a blog but wish to participate, kindly do your write up and send it together with the picture to me. I’ll post it up for you. (flower, don’t you want to participate??? Lilian all ready waiting to dash into her kitchen!)

So as long as you’re a Malaysian, you can participate no matter where you’re located in the world. Do note that you must be sensitive to our multi-racial and multi-religion society, hence pandai-pandailah when you come to using certain ingredients that are sensitive to certain religion (ie. dish must be halal and try not to serve beef to our Hindu friends as well).

All entries must reach me by 29th August 2006, midnight Malaysian time at babe_kl(@)yahoo(dot)com. Round-up will be posted on 31st August 2006. In your email, please state the following details:

Name or nick
Location
Permalink/URL of your post
Name of the dish

Looking forward to your entries and happy cooking. Oh yeah… may as well tag this up in case I’m late in putting up the entry. Please paste this link at the end of your post.

href="http://technorati.com/tag/Merdeka+Open+House+2006" rel="tag">Merdeka Open House 2006

If you’re not sure how to tag, you can attend a lesson at Food Blog S’cool (yeah we food blogger have a school one ok hahaha).

Terima kasih atas sokongan kamu. Sila datang ramai-ramai nanti ke Rumah Terbuka kami tapi sebelum tu, tolonglah berkerjasama dan hantarkan hidangan tradisi anda kepada saya sebelum 29 Ogos 2006.

Technorati Tags: +

14 comments:

  1. Can't wait to post an entry. Before tat, gotta squeeze my brain 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks puspha. i'm having a tough time myself too, darn should have put in something that i can manage :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know what to cook already!!! muahahhaha cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey hey..would love to join, but no promises yet as i am worried i might be tied up. though i do have a few dishes in mind! i'll try my best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. like wanna to join oso..but I'm very blur on this ler..just post as usual and email u the detail? any minimal post require??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to join too but I will be away that entire week and will only be back in Malaysia on Sep 4. Anyhow, I look forward to reading your follow-up on this event!

    ReplyDelete
  7. teckiee, whoa i cant wait to see your post up.

    rachel, try your best ok

    michelle, yeah just post as usual before or on 29th Aug. then send me the details. i will post up the round up on 31st. one post will do but you can make as many dishes as you like.

    mycoffee, aww too bad but nevermind, just come and salivate on 31st

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, a muhibbah dish. Right up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! sounds like a really cool concept. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looking forward to yr participation hijackqueen

    izad, u r not participating??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Babe,
    Done it!
    http://www.malaysiabest.net/2006/08/30/reciperesipi-kari-ayam-kapitan-merdeka-cyber-open-house/

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks lilian for making it on time!!! aiyoyo the curry looked pedas and sedap.

    seriously i wished i could taste all the goodies submitted. stay tune tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoops.. sorry I forgot to reply to your message. Took me a while, didn't it? ;) Wanted to participate but unfortunately my sister borrowed my camera for the week, and my phone cam is not working. I'll have an Javanese-influenced dish waiting for you next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No problem Izad... wahseh need to wait till next year ka? hahaha hmmm maybe we should do a DeepaRaya virtual open house

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012