Friday 24 November 2006

Braised Pork Ribs With Spices

**Non-Halal Post**

braised pork ribs with spices

After I've posted my Braised Chicken With Carrots, Cyrene came about telling me that this dish reminded her of her late granma's version with the exception of the addition of a cracked nutmeg and that this dish tasted better with pork ribs.

That weekend, I made this dish using pork ribs (by all means, use chicken if you want) and since I can't find whole nutmeg, I sub with the powder version and with of course a couple of smses to confirm things with Cyrene.

I marinaded the meat with some soy sauce, pepper and a wee bit of corn flour for a while. Heat some oil and put in cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise and nutmeg. Fry till fragrant, add in large chunks of onions and the pork ribs. When onions and ribs are lightly browned, place in carrots and potatoes (cut into large pieces). Then add in enough water to cover the content. Pour in some light soy sauce according to taste. Cover and simmer. When it boils, run a taste test and adjust your seasonings (you may need a wee bit of salt if you do not wish to add any more soy sauce). Cover and simmer till ribs and potatoes are tender. By now the water would have reduced, else remove the cover and continue to simmer till gravy is further reduced and thickened. I doubt you'll need any corn starch to thicken the gravy as the potatoes would soak them all up.

This dish was great with plain rice but could have been better if I have whole nutmeg instead. The nutmeg powder is simply not aromatic enough. Well, no choice since I can't find whole nutmeg in Tesco, Giant and dried goods stalls at the wet market. Guess where I found them later??? In my neighbourhood mini mart cum medicine hall! Duh... I quickly bought one packet and they're still sitting on the larder shelves haha... and this was way after I made this dish.

Anyway, I would like to thanks Cyrene for the tip and also a big congratulations to her and her hubby on the arrival of their newborn baby girl. Baby Gloria will be turning 4 weeks old next week, wow time flies. I hope their bundle of joy will bring them loads of happiness. Gloria is such a cutie that I think her daddy will bring out his parang to fend off boys when she turns 16! LOL

Happy Weekend!

Technorati Tags: +

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012