Wednesday 15 November 2006

Sweet Peanut Broth (Thor Tau T'ng)

My mom had made this tong shui (sweet soup) before but it was sometime back. I chanced upon the recipe when I was browsing thru Nyonya Flavours that was jointly published by The State Chinese (Penang) Association and Star Publications (M) Sdn Bhd.

This Sweet Peanut Broth (in Hokkien known as Thor Tau T'ng) is basically whole peanut in a sweet broth. Very easy peasy to make and it's best served with some Chinese crullers (yau zhar kwai in Cantonese). I did not follow the amount of ingredients in the recipe so I just guesstimate along.

peanut soup with crullers02

Sweet Peanut Broth

300g skinned peanuts
150g sugar
2 litres water
2 pandan leaves, knotted

Wash the peanuts and soak for at least 30 minutes.

In a pot, bring sugar, water and pandan leaves to a boil before adding the peanuts. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the peanuts are soft. Serve warm with fried Chinese crullers.


I have been shoved with a new project of late so I have been rather busy, hence updates could be sparse here.

Technorati Tags:


4 comments:

  1. been a while since i've seen this. there used to be a stall in pasar lama, malacca selling this and lek tau suan (green bean soup) which was extremely popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Babe,

    This is my absolute favorite Tong Sui. I don't know why, I think the peanuts in the US are very stubborn, I usually have to soak them overnight and cook with a slow cooker for 8 hours before they start becoming soft. Yes, I like them all soft and no more crunchy. Gotta soak them up now. Thanks for reminding me about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lanatir, i doubt there is a place that sells this in KL. anyone knows?

    yeah it took me about 2 hours to boil the peanuts but still not very soft. next time i'm gonna use pressure cooker, bee yinn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never come across this tong shui sold outside so far jackson. so hv to make my own, i supposed u could too

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012