Dear all supporters,
I have 3 sets of cookbooks to be given away and managed to wrestle a sponsorship from Werner, chef and owner of El Cerdo located in Tengkat Tong Shin, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. The details are as follows:
(1) Malaysian Set [Prize code: AP26]
Malaysian Set comprises of 6 mini books published by Periplus and each book come with simple instructions and lovely pictures for each recipe. I've picked my favourites with Malaysian cuisines in mind. The six minibooks comprises of Malaysian Favourites by Wendy Hutton; Malaysian Cakes and Desserts by Rohani Jelani; Nyonya Favourites by Lee Geok Boi; Eurasian Favourites by Wendy Hutton; Homestyle Malay Cooking by Rohani Jelani and Delicious Asian Seafood by Lee Geok Boi. With these 6 minibooks in hand, you can drool over the recipes and get to understand a bit of Malaysian cuisines and its ingredients used. Who knows you might be able to host a Malaysian theme dinner in no time!
(2) Nyonya Set [Prize code: AP27]
Nyonya Set come with 2 books - Nyonya Flavours, A Complete Guide to Penang Straits Chinese Cuisine jointly published by The State Chinese (Penang) Association and Star Publications (M) Bhd show cases the history, goods and of course the food plus recipes of Penang Nyonyas. The second book, Hawker's Kuih-Muih Favourites, published by Famous Cuisine come in bilingual edition of Chinese and English. Though not really related to Nyonya theme but it has a lot of cakes and sweets that is fittingly Nyonya.
Just look at the contents above depicted in Nyonya Flavours, A Complete Guide to Penang Straits Chinese Cuisine. There are some history and introduction to Penang Nyonya and I simply loved those colourful and vibrant photographs from dinner ware, cooking utensils, food, festivals and of course the people.
I've included this Hawker's Kuih-Muih Favourites as well since many of Malaysian kuih-muih (sweet/savoury cakes and desserts) are of Nyonya origin. Some of the recipes came with a pictorial step-by-step guide.
(3) Vegetarian Set [Prize code: AP28]
Vegetarian Set is sponsored by hubby, KK. This set have Azrah Kamala Shashi's Vegetarian Feasts (under Celebrity Chef's Cookbooks series) published by Times Edition and Over 80 Great Vegetarian Cuisines published by Famous Cuisine.
Azrah's came out with quite a number of Chinese, Indian, Malay, Thai and Western mouthwatering vegetarian recipes. A short pictorial introduction on some of the Asian ingredients are included as well which I personally think is a wonderful idea as some of us might not know how the ingredients looked like.
Meanwhile, the Chinese-English bilingual edition of Over 80 Great Vegetarian Cuisines focused mainly on Chinese style vegetarian fare. Methods to make mock meat are included in this volume! I'm going to get my own copy in my next trip to the bookstore!!!
(4) El Cerdo Dining Voucher worth RM500 [Prize code: AP29]
I managed to rope in Werner, Chef and owner of El Cerdo, a restaurant that specialises in anything pork, to sponsor something. I'm feeling ecstatic now cause Chef Werner had generously pledged a dining voucher worth RM500 to dine in his restaurant - El Cerdo. El Cerdo is a non-halal restaurant located in Tengkat Tong Shin, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Hence this prize is limited to those living in the Klang Valley or to those who are willing to come to Kuala Lumpur to savour the delicious offerings by Chef Werner. El Cerdo specialises in porcine delights and I personally would like to recommend the pork knuckle for 2. It's slightly different from the usually knuckle, the skin is rubbed and topped with some herbs and garlic. The skin, aside from being crispy, have a fragrant herb aroma with a subtle hint of garlic. It taste just wonderful.
That's all I managed to wrestle and should there be any restaurant owners or food bloggers reading this in Malaysia and feel like taking part, please contact me at babe_kl(at)yahoo(dot)com as soon as possible. We can try to accommodate your pledges before December 22 but try to make it earlier (and not wait till December 22) so we can do a bit of promo for your pledges.
Do check out the rest of the prizes available in Asia Pacific region over at Grab Your Fork or Chez Pim for the round up of prizes offered around the world before placing your donation and bid at First Giving.
Here's what you should do...
- Go to the donation page at http://www.firstgiving.com/menuforhopeIII
- Make a donation, each USD10 will give you one raffle ticket toward a prize of your choice. Please specify which prize or prizes you'd like in the 'Personal Message' section in the donation form when confirming your donation. Do tell us how many tickets per prize, and please use the prize code -for example, a donation of USD50 can be 2 tickets for AP01 and 3 for AP02.
- For US donors, if your company has agreed to match your charity donation, please remember to check the box and fill in the information so we may claim the corporate match.
- Please also check the box to allow us to see your email address so that we could contact you in case you win. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.
- Check back on Chez Pim on January 15 when we announce the results of the raffle. (The drawing will be done electronically. Our friend the code wizard Derrick at Obsession with Food is responsible for the wicked application that will do the job.)
All I wanted to say is be generous and to quote Chef Werner "It's for the children"! Your support to this cause will be tremendously appreciated by us all. Thank you in advance for your donation.
Technorati Tags: menu for hope