Friday 10 August 2007

Orange Poppy Seeds Cake

Orange Poppy Seeds Cake

Another classic recipe from Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 2 to end this week with a sweet note. This cake is utterly moist and crunching on the poppy seeds is very addictive indeed!

I did pour the syrup over minus the rinds as I don't have time nor the right tool to extract them and I've also reduced the sugar to half a cup which turned out ok for me. Was afraid it will become achingly sweet. However, my guinea pigs said they didn't taste much of the orange flavour... hmmm. Could be the type of orange used I supposed... Sunkist will definitely have a stronger orange flavour!

Orange Poppy Seeds Cake

1/3 cup poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
200g butter, softened
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
3/4 cup castor sugar
3 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tspns baking powder
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup shredded orange rind


Method:

Preheat the oven to 160C. Place the poppy seeds and milk in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.

Place the butter, orange rind and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture and add the orange juice and poppy seed and milk mixture. Stir to combine and spoon into a 20cm round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper.

Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

While the cake is cooking, make the syrup. Place the sugar, orange juice and orange rind in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat and boil for 5-6 minutes or until syrupy.

Pour half of the hot syrup over the hot cake. To serve, cut the warm or cold cake into wedges and pour over the remaining syrup. Serves 8-10.

Ref: Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 2. You can get the recipe here as well.

Technorati Tags:

21 comments:

  1. oh wow.... looks yumm!!!! never tried making poppy seeds cake before.. would love to bake one when i am free... thanks for da recipe, babe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh babe, you remember da north ocean seafood rest @ b.menjalara? heard that they've closed down.. and moved in da middle of da night weeks ago! owing da landlord quite big amount of $$$$$ O_o

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm.. could it be the rind? but i hv similar problem with the orange flavours not strong enough as well.. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! I have that book and have been meaning to make this cake forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, I've been meaning to make Poppyseed cake for ages. Yours looks perfect. Great "seed-al" distribution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we never have miniscule feelings for cakes and such things but lately...
    ( what is happening...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always wonder does people get "high" after consuming too much poppy seeds? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi babe! are poppy seeds expensive in msia?? just wondering... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL on the "high" theory. I did read if you take a drug test, you'll likely to fail it if you had consumed poppy seeds.

    The cake looks so lovely and moist. Btw, Babe do you know what happened to the Noodle House place in Low Yat? The ramen one. Saw they're no longer there as Kameya has shifted there since Low Yat wants to do other stuff to their space.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love poppy seeds in my cake or pastry, I love that popping sensation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the recipe..! i'm gonna try it sometime.. :) i love anything orange..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wahahah everytime i come here i sure see some yummy homebake dessert cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i would love to try ..but im really really bad at baking..hope tat i never fail at this one..

    ReplyDelete
  14. meiyen, try it cos its moist and yummy. LOL over that North Ocean fiasco!! Sighhh they should have remained in Selayang where their biz were better.

    no idea ler daphne... maybe we should get microplane zester hehehe

    hi patricia, you should try this recipe then

    Graeme, LOL funny ain't it? Go try baking it soon.

    the team, LOL got sugar high fever :p

    will, you wanna experiment?

    jun, it's not expensive at all

    boo_licious, Sapporo Noodle House shifted over to BB Park side next to Outback but now BB Park is in the midst of renovating. Not sure if they're going to remain where it was. I went there 2 months back and it was as good as it used to be :(

    beeyinn, me too haha very addictive

    mamabok, let me know if your side the orange flavour is stronger.

    teckiee, faster go get an oven :p

    kampungboycitygal, this is relatively easy, so shouldn't be an issue

    jackson, it's time to get one and you can bake for your family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks gorgeous, Babe. Wish I had the time to bake one. My Bald Eagle will be so happy if I did!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lemongrass, am sure one day you'll fine some time to squeeze in this for your baby :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. jun, i just bought another pack of poppy seeds. they costed RM3.80 for 50g.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it was a long time ago, but I found this recipe in a google search.

    Maybe the problem you had with not enough orangeyness came from the fact this recipe is in metric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my first visit to your site and therefore my first recipe to try. I needed to use up some oranges and this is so perfect. I didn't have enough OJ for the icing so I improvised with 1/4 c OJ, powdered sugar, zest and some orange extract. Thanks for a really good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi :) I was looking for a recipe for orange poppy seed cake, and this was the first one that came up in Google!
    I tried making it today, and I'm proud to say that it was a success! :D
    Thank you very much for sharing the recipe, I really do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats Annlee! Glad you like it ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012