Friday 26 October 2007

Review: Koon Kee's Wantan Noodles

**Non-Halal**

Edited 27 Oct 2007

Goshhh I was hankering for a good plate of wantan meen (noodles) for more than a week. The one I had last week, did not manage to satisfy my craving, in fact it was a total disappointment.

In my book, a good wantan noodles would mean... a plate of fresh noodles done kon low (dry) style where the sauce concoction have a hint of sweetness to it and not overly salty; the fresh noodles ought to be cooked al dente in order to have a springy texture; and must topped with slightly charred char siu (barbeque pork) slices with slight fatty streaks and a coating of sweetish and sticky caramel!!! The wantans (dumplings) that come with ikan bilis (anchovies) broth are secondary to me, darn, I wonder if they serve only char siu meen rather than char siu wantan meen that would come out of my mouth automatically?!!?

Thank goodness I managed to cure my cravings just now! Woottt!!! I had my fix at Koon Kee. Well, it's not as good as before but at least they met those points in my book of wantan meen. Boy, I was so glad and I'm still reeling in the happiness heh!



Koon Kee - Wantan & Char Siu Noodles

Koon Kee is located just beside Hon Kee Porridge along Jalan Hang Lekir (right smack in the middle of Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown). Alternatively, they have a stall at Chinatown Hawker Center which is just opposite of their hole-in-the-wall shop. I think their opening hours are from late morning till late afternoon.


Koon Kee Wantan Meen
95 Jalan Hang Lekir
50000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: (603) 2078 6554
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 10:00pm


Technorati Tags: + +

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo! I love the lighting on the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaden. Its best with natural lighting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My usual order at most place now is 'wantan mee cheng charsiew'. Had too many disappointing wantan encounters but the bbq meat is usually still acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! u r so right man, a good wantan mee is hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, from the way you describe it, it does sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, the pic looked nice. :) Chinatown Hawker Center? Did you mean the Tang City Food Court which is just next to the fried sweet potato balls? I'm not very into wantan noodle but Koon Kee's sui kow are still ok for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm wanton mee, my lunch staple. Sigh, if I could afford the calories, I would eat this everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. tummythoz, ohh next time i will just order wantan meen ng moi wantan :p

    daphne, ya lor :(

    mamabok & jason, it does actually. had my second fix this week haha

    cookies & cream, yeah that's the one

    paprika, errr me and hubby did just dat at one point in time cos the wantan meen near home was soooo good. sad they hv moved liau :(

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012