Friday 28 March 2008

Pak Tong Koh (White Sugar Sponge)

Yozora asked one day if I happen to know how to make Pak Tong Koh, a type of Chinese traditional sweet cake. I told her that I've never made any before and neither does my mom knows how to make one. I went searching in the net and found this recipe by Florence, seems to be the easiest. This one only need 2 hours fermentation as compared to some - overnight!

I went and did a test run recently, well just to see if I could make one since I'm usually very sceptical about myself making such traditional stuff. They usually never turn out okay especially the first time.

I followed her recipe to the T with the exception that I added 140gm sugar, 10gm more after I tasted the cooked batter. The koh turned out looking like this...

Pak Tong Koh (White Sugar Sponge)

They smelt exactly like those I've bought from the market, looked quite close too hehe... but the honeycomb texture is not so obvious though. Taste wise, quite close to the real thing but not sweet enough for a koh. I think 150gm sugar would be a better bet. Hubby said the yeast taste is a bit over powering but he tried not long after I took out from the steamer.

I kept them in the fridge over night since my mom said it will turn bad quickly. I took one the next morning and somehow can't detect the strong yeast taste but it's a bit hard though.

I gave a tub to my parents which she kept in the fridge. My mom being the rajin (hardworking in Malay) one steamed them the next morning before eating. When I called her, she asked if I really made the koh myself. I told her yes. She told me, they were very nice worrr :P hahaha... wah first time she said my cooking is nice!

I'm reproducing Florence's recipe here for my future reference. Thank you Florence for such a wonderful recipe.

Pak Tong Koh (White Sugar Sponge)

Ingredients:
(A)
170g sieved rice flour
130 - 150g castor sugar
360ml water

(B)
3/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp warm water

Method:
1. Mix (B) and leave aside for 10 minutes for use later.

2. Mix (A) together with a whisk and cook over low heat stirring all the time till a little thicken (this process should not be more than 5 minutes otherwise the mixture will have sago pearls forming). Sieve this mixture into a big mixing bowl and cooled it in a basin of water. Make sure it's cooled till luke warm.

3. Mix (1) and (2) together and blend well. Cover the mixture with glad wrap and prove in a warm place for 1 - 2 hours. When the mixture show signs of bubbles all over the surface then it is ready for steaming.

4. Pour the ready batter into a 19.5cm x 19.5 cm greased pan and steam on high heat for 20 -25 minutes.

5. Cut into serving pieces when cool.

Ref: Do What I Like blog by Florence



Technorati Tags: +

13 comments:

  1. Whoa... they look just like the real thing lar... no wonder your mom was impressed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the pak tong koh..they were so nice that i ate 2 pieces in the office and then felt a little guilty for not sharing..so gave the last piece (sadly) to Aunty, out tea lady. She was impressed wor.. thot I bought wan heehee..but I told her it was babe's homemade koh..wah...lagi impressed.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem too! The pak tong koh can't keep too long.. mine turned rock hard the next day! have to finish it on the day itself!
    Yours look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. still waiting to taste ur food. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi babe... possible to get your email address? wanna ask you bout the detox program.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this brings back memories of a certain roadside stall that sells only pak tong koh and ham chin peng in penang, a stall where i used to frequent as a kid. even tho ppl may find pak tong koh plain, i think my fondness for it is associated with memories of supper with my parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my fave when I was a kid. Absolutely love it, now seeing this post makes me wanna go and buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kekeke kenny, me too actually cos its my first time ma

    hahaha thanks for letting the aunty have one yozora, glad you guys liked them

    daphne, try steaming again before eating

    mike, need meh? :p

    cumi&ciki :p

    cel, my email is stated at the side bar

    glad those were sweet memories, jun

    wmw :D have fun hunting them

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious! I really like that great cake (see my blog)... So unique and wonderful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost forgot about this wonderful Chinese dessert! I used to love eating this! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi rosa! hahaha and we used the same recipe, how cool!

    hope you'll get it right too cakewardrobe ;-)

    hillary, this is different from that steamed cake. this needs rice flour and not normal flour. rice flour gives a different texture and aroma.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012