Thursday 27 March 2008

Review: Satay O'Mulia

Where to find satay in the city of Kuala Lumour when you have cravings for them in the evening???

Now don't read me wrong here hahaha... usually it's my the other half who will have all these weird cravings. No wonder his tummy is perpectually 4 months pregnant!

As he was throwing me this question, it suddenly dawn upon me that there is indeed one stall in the city that serves satay. Adly of Friedchillies have been telling me about this Satay O'Mulia aeons ago but somehow it never cropped up in my mind. This stall is located at the busy intersection between Jalan Tun Razak and Jalan Semarak. It's opposite Menara Celcom. Parking is certainly not a breeze here, we went round the stall 4 rounds but yet can't find any parking, not even by the road side ok. Sigggghhh so I told hubby to try just one more round and yippeeee we managed to squeezed into one tight space in front of the Indian restaurant a few doors away.

We shared a table with a big fat cat. Too bad boiboi is not around else he will be very fascinated cos he just loved cats. Anyway hubby shooed it away when our satay arrived. He was worried that it will steal his satays away LOL.

OM - beef n chic satay OM - beef n chic satay close up

I'm impressed with the large succulent chunks of beef and chicken meat. There were chicken skins in between the chicken pieces, burnt and caramelised under the charcoal. I'm glad the beef satay stays tender. Both types were well marinaded and went well with the peanut sauce. Loved the way O'Mulia serves their sauce. Just like Haji Samuri, they gave us a large bowl of peanut sauce and a small bowl of fiery hot chilli. We could scoop into our individual bowls to our hearts content without needing to call for the wait staff every now and then for refills. Not the best peanut sauce but hey, I'm not complaining... dunking in the cucumber and ketupat as well.

OM - beef n chic satay peanut sauce

Our only grouses were some of the chicken satay were not cooked AND they seem to have used a lot of MSG either in their marinade or peanut sauce. The first was solved by sending back for another round of grilling but it was the mother-of-all thirstiness that I really can't stand for the whole night. That certainly spoilt everything about O'Mulia.

Other than satays, I noticed there were a lot of patrons ordering fried rice and noodles. If not for the MSG experience, I won't mind patronising again, so at the moment, it's a no for me.


Satay O'Mulia
300-1 Jalan Tun Razak,
54200 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 6019 371 3639
Opens from 6.00pm - 11.00pm


Technorati Tags: +

9 comments:

  1. I dunno, I tend to stick with old classics... it's usually the Kajang Satay that does it for me, or their counterpart in Damansara Uptown.

    Malas, what can I say? Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best i've tried so far is Sate Kajang Hj Samuri at Awan Besar & Kinrara Rest Bay (Kesas Higway)
    They have a branch at Damansara Uptown too but that's lousy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place doesn't sounds too hygiene isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. kenny & jess, we usually frequent Satay Malaysia but that's in Kajang, too hungry to go that far haha

    jason, its typical Msian kinda stall... so dun expect them to be graded A

    joe, yalor hubby over ordered - 15 sticks each without knowing it's such huge stick. we have to pack the uneaten ones back :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its the ketupat that does it for me. As I dont eat satay frequently, any would taste good to me. However, its the ketupat wrapped in leaves that I love, much nicer that those in plastic wrappers that more and more sellers seem to sell these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally agree with you hazza. its more compact and fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its hard to find really good satays nowadays, I remember Satay Anika, in BB plaza, it was good then, then they ran out of business... sigh !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bernsy, we used to loved Satay Ria!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012