Tuesday 27 May 2008

Cooling Drinks Series: Sea Coconut With Buddha's Fruit

The weather in Kuala Lumpur has been tremendously hot. I guess it's time to continue my cooling drink series. I was meant to boil this Sea Coconut With Buddha's Fruit (loh horn guo in Cantonese) tong shui (sweet soup) featured in Amy Beh's cook book but I didn't realised I ran out of dried longan so I sub it with some white fungus instead just for some substance.

Anyway, I just boiled them in a pot for an hour plus instead of double-boiling. I added the rock sugar towards the end and I doubt I've used that much of sugar since Buddha's Fruit will sweeten the soup. So add little by little till you achieve the sweetness that you prefer. Best when eaten cold.

Sea Coconut with Loh Horn Guo

Sea Coconut With Buddha's Fruit

250g fresh sea coconut (to obtain toddy palm seed)
4 red dates, pitted and halved
25g dried longan
1 whole Buddha’s fruit, lightly cracked
150g rock sugar
500ml water

Remove the hard shells off the fresh sea coconut. Tear off the membrane and cut the toddy palm seed into thin slices.

Put rock sugar, red dates, longan, lo han kor and water into a double boiler. Cover and double boil for 1 hour over medium-low heat.

Add toddy palm seed slices and continue to double boil for another hour. Serve hot or cold.

Technorati Tags:

7 comments:

  1. Yeah...the weather's been ridiculously hot huh...I had to resort to drinking "yong sam sou" to take away the heatiness...this would be good too...sea coconut! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. would love a huge bowl of that now. perfect for the current malaysia weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine it gliding down my throat...ah...soothingnya!! Maybe I should boil some this weekend. I love sea coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes superheroes! drink more water too

    rachel, very indeed

    pea, the seacoconut is smooth and glided down the throat effortlessly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought longan was heaty one..?? therefore i never dare make longan tong sui.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes mamabok so dun add in too much of them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I posted your recipe and a link to your blog on mine. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012