Saturday 29 August 2009

My Sweet Malaysia: Kuih Keria

I was kinda proud when I decided on the theme for this year's Merdeka Open House. I thought it would be so easy to simply pick any of the lavish sweet traditional spread we have in Malaysia but how wrong I was. Well, all due to so many things I could cook up but I tell ya, it's not easy to decide on which recipe... decisions, decisions, decisions!

Anyway I ended up making Kuih Keria, one of my favourite local "doughnut", the other being the simple fried up dough with castor sugar coating which we can find in our local market or hawker stalls. Kuih Keria is doughnut shaped kuih made of 4 ingredients that are sweet potatoes, self-raising flour, baking powder and sugar for coating. Simple as that... usually the yellow variety of sweet potatoes are being used but this smart alec decided to make some multi-coloured ones just to spice up the entry.

Kuih Keria

I bought some purple, orange and yellow (well, I thought it was yellow but after steaming they still look whitish!!!) sweet potatoes just to experiment. After steaming them separately, I mashed them up. I find the orange version is easist to mash and it's soft plus very moist where else the other two were kinda dry. I had to add a little water to bind the dough up. After frying them up, I noticed the orange ones puffed up nicely but the other two retained it's original shape.

Kuih Keria - orange

The original Kuih Keria usually have a hardened sugar syrup coating but I find them too sweet, hence I just coat mine with caster sugar.

Kuih Keria - white

Kuih Keria - purple

The test bunnies only gave praise to the orange version and I know Capn't Hook would loved to throw the other 2 versions at the wall to see if they could make any dents on the wall hehe. So I should know better to adhere to the experts (recipe/cookbook writers) by using the said ingredient instead of pandai-pandai (cleverly) modifying them to my fancy.

Kuih Keria

300g yellow or orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
120g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups oil for deep frying
Caster sugar for sprinkling

1. Place the cubed sweet potatoes on a plate and steam until soft, about 15 mins. mash them, removing and discarding any fibre.

2. Placed the mashed sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl. Combine with self raising flour and baking powder. Knead into a soft dough.

3. Divide dough into 30g pieces. Dust hands lightly with flour and roll each dough piece into a round blall. Flatten it slightly with the back of your hand until it's about 7cm large. Slowly using your finger to poke a hole through and fashion dough into a ring. Set aside. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

4. Heat oil in a wok over medium-high fire. When smoking hot, add dough rings in batches. Deep fry for 5-8 mins or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel.

5. Sprinkle caster sugar over and serve hot.


Do wait up and come back on Merdeka Day for the round up of all recipes submitted for this year's Merdeka Open House!

Selamat Hari Merdeka!


Technorati Tag:

9 comments:

  1. this looks "WOW"- a malay sort of donut. Looks awesome and love the texture with sweet potato dough in it

    ReplyDelete
  2. babe ... I loveeee this kuih and always grab them from the stall outside my condo before going to work last time and did not know its so easy to make. Will try them soon! Happy Merdeka btw and thanks for organising another wonderful event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. daphne, yup it's my fave kuih, it's quite common here but they're usually encrusted in dried up sugar syrup

    TNG, dats not yam but a whitish sweet potatoes :p

    Lianne, me too, never knew it was so easy to make! so now you know I picked this hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Remind me of my mak dayang(nanny) who used to sell this. Her specialty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 'kuih keria' - both making and eating it! How come you didn't use the old fashioned method of glazing the donuts? I love that...

    Thankfully, we can get it now at the Pasar Ramadhan but hopefully, I can make some for my little darlings in future...

    Thanks for trying the purple variety LOL Good to know now that only the yellow and orange type work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kittycat, i dun like the sugar syrup glaze cos too sweet :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this. I was eager to try my coconut flour so I substituted 10% of the flour with coconut flour. Of course this changed the texture, but still nice. I made with crytalised sugar. Will stick to your recipe next time and will try using different another type of sweet potato. So YUMMY! Thank you babe for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012