Monday 17 August 2009

Slow Cooked Pork Ribs With Black Fungus and Tofu Puff

**Non-Halal**


Let me describe another lazy way to have a hearthy meal without having to do much especially the cleaning part :p All one need to do is to use their slow cooker which is usually stashed away somewhere inside kitchen cabinets or like most people would just use it to boil soups.

I've done quite a number of posts on how to cook using the slow cooker without adding much water and this is another one of it...

First, clean up one stick of chopped pork ribs, remove all the fats and scald with some hot water. Marinade the ribs for a couple of hours with maybe around 1/4 cup of water (there isn't any vegetables used hence you'll a wee bit of water), 2 cubes of red preserved beancurd, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and a wee bit of sugar to bring out the flavour. It has to be slightly more salty as the rest of the ingredients are kinda bland.

For the first layer, place halves tofu puff on the bottom of the slow cooker.

Slow Cooked Pork Ribs - 1st layer tofu

Second layer, soaked, cleaned and sliced black fungus.

Slow Cooked Pork Ribs - 2nd layer black fungus

Next, layer on the ribs together with the marinade and some crushed garlic. Put on the lid and cook for 3 hours.

Slow Cooked Pork Ribs - 3rd layer ribs and garlic

This was how the ribs looked like at the half way mark.

Slow Cooked Pork Ribs - half way cooking

Towards the end of the cooking time, pour in some Shao Tsing wine and give it a quick stir. Can switch off the cooker now as the heat will continue to cook the ribs.

Slow Cooked Pork Ribs

Dish up and serve hot with rice! The meat is superbly tender and definitely full of the red preserved tofu flavour, almost like Hakka Char Nyuk (braised deep fried pork belly with black fungus).

No wok or pan to wash, no need to clean your stove or cooking area, plus no need to mop the kitchen floor! Without counting the prep work, just need to wash the slow cooker ceramic pot, the spoon used for stirring and the serving plate! Best for lazy people like me :p

Other ideas of cooking using a slow cooker:
Slow Cooked Chicken and Potatoes
Slow Cooked Chicken With Bittergourd
Slow Cooked Pork Ribs
Slow Cooked Roasted Pork with Potatoes and Leeks


Technorati Tags: +

13 comments:

  1. gosh...u cooked this? i would luv to try out ur receipe for this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm mmm mmm... black fungus & pork can do no wrong, absolutely no wrong!! I need to get myself a slow cooker so I can stop aspiring and start easy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I just cooked something similar last week but without using the slow cooker, my version of Hakka Char Nyuk. You were right, my slow cooker is stacked inside my pantry, hardly use. HAHAHA... But my slow cooker is big and I always cook in small portion, so seldom use unless to make big pot of something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Another slow cooker recipe - though I don't cook pork at all :) But I do use my slow cook often for my famous mutton biryani or curry :)

    http://kirantarun.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love black fungus... it goes very well, braised with pork - ribs or belly! Your one-pot meal looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drool! I need to hunt for my slow cooker that's stashed away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes vialentino, its really easy peasy

    500ml jar of faith, get the smaller cooker unless you wanna boil soup with one

    LCOM, ooo mine is a small one (1.5 litre) which we used to cook porridge for my boiboi when he was younger. the size is just nice. i have another large cooker which i hardly use too :p

    Kiran, curry also can?? ok great!

    PG, yummy and easy ;-)

    LL, am surprised you actually have one :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guilty. Slow cooker = soups.
    Esp on workdays. Dump everything into it in the morning to dine in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's sooo comfort food loh. esp with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. tummythoz, you cooked everyday? sooo hardworking leh

    yes Daphne the sauce is great with rice

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the 'nam yue' and black fungus. 3 hours enough to soften it? Prefer it soft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. must be very flavourful with the red preserved beancurd! Looks perfect with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. worldwindows, 3 hours the meat would fall of the bones texture. soft enough?

    yes it does PigPigCorner

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012