Wednesday 19 May 2010

Moist Coconut Cake

I have about 1 and a half tub of sour cream left in the fridge and I badly need to use them all up before they expire. I ran thru my books but funny there were so few recipes that uses sour cream. Darn!!! That's seems to be the problem all the time when I need to find something the very last minute but not when I'm browsing freely.

Anyway, with the few options in hand, I went thru the rest of my larder and found desiccated coconut which I've bought without knowing yet what to do with them :p

I've checked the books again and I found this recipe in Australian Women's Weekly's Food We Love. The recipe is also available in their website over here.

I adapted the recipe and added a handful of chopped toasted pistachios. Since I've more sour cream than needed, I added all in and omitted the milk which worked out fine. I've also cut down the amount of sugar and couldn't be bothered with the icing since it required raw egg whites.

The cake is indeed very moist and have this coconutty fragrant that smell so lovely especially during baking. The pistachios added a nice bite to this cake, this recipe is definitely a keeper.

Moist Coconut Cake
Moist Coconut Cake
Adapted from Australian Women's Weekly

125g butter, soften
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 & 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
350g sour cream

Preheat oven to 180C and grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line with baking paper.

Cream butter, essence and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined.

Stir in half the coconut and flour with half the sour cream, then fold in remaining ingredients; stir until smooth.

Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour. Stand 5 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool.

6 comments:

  1. pretty sure that captain hook and your boiboi whacked the whole thing up right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just looks moist and crumbly in all the right places! Yums...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm.. *drool*
    That looks gooooood...... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOoo leo! Too much, shared it with family and colleagues :p

    Kenny, it does actually!

    J, if u like coconut, this is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum...hey, there used to be an AWW book which categorises cakes by ingredients, and there's a whole chapter on sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! i think u right, I might give this a go coz my hubby will love this!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012