Tuesday 4 May 2010

Review: Restoran Sang Kee (Yes, Again!)

**Non-Halal**


I can't help it but post this up quickly even though I have other impending posts cos I'm having a sudden craving for Sang Kee's Goe Low Yuk (Sweet and Sour Pork). As I've mentioned before Sang Kee's version is how goe low yuk should taste like where the pork pieces are not fatty and remained crispy even after cooking in the sweet and sour sauce.

Goe Low Yuk (Sweet and Sour Pork)

We're having rice this round instead of sang har meen, so we ordered a Steamed Tofu with Fish Paste upon recommendation. Apparently, this dish was mentioned in Taste of Jason, sounds like a must order item. When it arrived, I was like thinking aloud "Aisay, my mom always cook this dish hahaha". In fact, I've cooked them as well, easy peasy, simple and nice.

Steamed Tofu with Fish Paste

We decided on Stir-fried Sweet Potato Leaves with Belachan after the captain rattling off the short list of vege available. Enough wok hei but not sambal belachan no ommpphh PLUS the stems are sooo fibrous indicating the vegetable is very matured! Took us so long to chew them up!

Stir-fried Sweet Potato Leaves with Sambal Belachan

Actually these 3 dishes would be just nice for us but Capt'n Hook saw the waitress sending a plate of Foo Yoong Darn (omelette) to the next table and immediately beckoned for one as well!!! *roll eyes* Someone just ate with his eyes which is bad cos 2 of us definitely can't finish all these up! Sang Kee's version contained quite a number of prawns, char siu (I think), onions and lots of spring onion which gave it a very fragrant flavour. What I liked is the omelette is fluffy and crispy on the sides, not soaking in oil.

Omelette ala Foo Yoong


Since we were there on a weekday, service was quite good even though the dishes came a tad slower. I can't imagine what it is like on a weekend which I saw people commenting in Jason's site about bad and slow service. I guess have to avoid this place on weekends.

We've paid RM48.70 for the 4 dishes, one bowl of normal sized rice and one small bowl of rice plus a pot of Chinese tea.


Restoran Sang Kee
Off Jalan Hang Jebat
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603 20785092
Opening hours: 11:00am-3:00pm; 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Coordinates: 3°8'36"N 101°41'57"E

10 comments:

  1. Poor you having to chew and chew and chew on the stalks of that vege! ... anyway, the ku loh yuk looks so goooood! *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... since all the cooks are quite old, the speed is rather slow. Just try not to go there during peak hours, coz the quality will be compromised :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Enough wok hei but not sambal belachan no ommpphh..."

    Man, I don't even see the traditional red-brown tinge to indicate the sambal belacan. Better luck next time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh ku lou yuk done the way it should be... this I MUST try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look very much like home cook dishes. I do miss the Goe Low Yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, good shots here! Dishes look super yummy! Gou Lou Yuk, one of my favourites if I can't get Pai Guat Wong (love it! love it! love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh geez. Now YOU made me crave for Gu Lou Yuk. Agreed, not many outlets can make really, really good Gu Lou Yuk. There are two in Ipoh that I like most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the food here. Simple and wholesome. Parking sucks though, doesn't it? (unless you know of a secret parking place which I am not aware of? Hmm?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. J, the tough veggy is totally not cool!

    Leo, which was why i only go on weekday :p

    Kenny, not going to order anything wid sambal belachan anymore!

    minchow, enjoy ya

    LCOM, yeah Goe Low Yuk is certainly a crowd favourite

    ahhh Lisa, yes yes and Phai Kuat Wong but hard to find a place that make this these days

    J2kfm, hehehe poor thing. tonight going for some?

    LL, we drove right inside towards the restaurant entrance and park right there which actually belong to Traditional Chinese Medical Institute Malaysia. limited space though

    ReplyDelete
  10. have the kulouyok at section 17 PJ's Lucky. it's similar. also their belachan veg more kao (and u need to order their salted veg soup). the holy trinity of malaysian taichow dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012