Friday 1 June 2012

Steamed Rice Noodle Parcels With Recipe

I've posted about Steamed Rice Noodle Parcels but I did not measure out the ingredients then and I've promised that I'll make up to that. So I've made these parcels again with all ingredients weighted and measured out. It's really very easy to cook up, the only trouble is the time taken to julienne the turnips (yam bean), carrots and French beans! So by all means, use a grater for carrots and turnips hehe...

Celine of Life, Love and Me commented previously "OMG!! THIS is my favorite too!!! :) My "Ah Mah" used to make this for me when I was Boi Boi's age. It has been ages since I have taken it. Don't think I am at the league to re-create this at home. I am still at the "only know how to fry one type of vege at the time" stage. :) xoxo"

What league??? hahaha Celine, if you read the recipes below, you'll know why I've asked you to make them this weekend cos it's really simple. Make your Ah Mah proud ok! ;-)


Steamed Rice Noodle Parcels/Rolls

1.2 kg (2 medium sized) turnips (yam bean), peeled (clean weight about 1 - 1.1 kg)
80 g (1 small) carrots, peeled
80 g French beans, both ends removed
30 g (4 cloves) garlic, chopped
30 g dried shrimps (omit for vegetarian version), washed, soaked and drain
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp grounded white pepper
2 Tbsp water
1 1/2 Tbsp oil

10 sheets of uncut rice noodle* (2 packets as 1 packet has 5 sheets)
Bean paste sauce* (mixed with hot water to dilute)
Chilli sauce** (optional, recipe below)

Garnishing:
Spring onion, sliced
Deep fried shallots (can be bought or best if self made)

* can be found at wet market at stalls selling fresh noodles

Prep:

Slice yam bean and carrot into thin strips as shown the pic. You can use a coarse grater, of course. Diagonally sliced French beans into thin strips (also shown in pic).

Fillings

I've roughly chopped my dried shrimps cos they were big and longish. If you have the smaller ones, just keep them whole.

Cook:

Using a wok with lid, heat it up before pouring in the oil. Put in dried shrimps and fry till they "pop" or smell fragrant. Add in garlic and fry till light brown. Stir in carrot and turnip strips until they're well mixed. Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp of water, cover and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.

Stir in the French beans, salt, white pepper and sugar (please note my salt level is on the low side, so adjust it according to your tastebud). If you feel the vegetables are a bit dry, sprinkle in the other 1 Tbsp of water. Put on the lid and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir and check if they're cooked (meaning the turnips have turned soft). If they're not, cover and cook for another 3 minutes or so (I guess you'll have to judge as it will depend on your heat and how juicy the turnips were). Set aside to cool down a little.

cooked fillings

Do note that when you cook with the lid on, you'll noticed some liquid would form in the wok. This would hasten the cooking process as opposed to frying in a open wok (which I did once and took so long to cook up). Just cook till vegetables are soft and moist but yet still retained a slight crunch and the liquid is dried up. In any case where 2 Tbsp of water is not enough, by all means keep on adding by the tablespoons.

To assemble:

Carefully unroll the rice noodle sheet on a clean surface. Spoon 2 generous tablespoons of fillings into a thick log diagonally towards one edge. Fold the shorter end over and roll once towards the opposite end. Tuck in left and right ends. Continue to roll till the end, just like how you roll a parcel.

I know I've promised earlier for step-by-step pics but I was alone at that time and hands all oily from handling the rice noodle sheets, so it's quite difficult unless I wash my hands 600 million times hehe.

Steamed Rice Noodles - parcels

Otherwise, you could roll them into a log. Just spread out 2 generous tablespoons fillings on the long edge of the sheet like a long log. Then roll up like a swiss roll till the end.

Steamed Rice Noodles - rolls

Place parcels or rolls onto heatproof plates and steam on low heat for 5 - 7 minutes. Not on high heat though as the parcels will break.

To serve (best when warm):

Slice the parcels or rolls. Spoon over bean paste sauce and chilli. Sprinkle with spring onions and deep fried shallots.

Easy peasy... not??? Let me know ;-)

Steamed Rice Noodles Rolls


Chilli Sauce**

60 g (4 medium sized) red chillies, sliced
50 g young ginger, skin removed
3 cloves garlic
Calamansi juice, to taste
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Blend all ingredients into a rather fine chilli sauce.



6 comments:

  1. LOOKS AWESOME and so easy!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Michelle... stuffed with fillings. It's called fun guen in cantonese

    Daphne, easy huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks quite easy ....... think i can do it. ;) printed your recipe, all ready to go marketing over the weekend.

    thank YOU for the recipe. hope i can re-create my childhood fav!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! hehe, i thought u made the chee cheong fun, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celine, told ya!

    Pureglutton, hahaha life is too short for that!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012